The Union Cabinet on Saturday (21 April 2018) approved the promulgation of an ordinance that seeks to award death penalty to those convicted of raping children below 12 years.
- The Cabinet cleared the amendments to the Criminal Law Ordinance 2018 which will come in to force after President Ram Nath Kovind approves it, which should take a day or two.
- Punishment has been increased and made stringent to deter the crime against women and children.
- New fast track courts, New posts for public prosecutors, specialized forensic labs and dedicated manpower to depose the rape cases in time bound manner.
- The Government of India will maintain national database for sexual offenders; and also provide one-stop centers in each district of the country to counsel rape victims.
- Speedy investigation and trial