1. The metro system recently recongnised as world’s first green metro system is?
A. Lyon Metro, France
B. Shenzhen Metro, China
C. Delhi Metro, India
D. Toronto subway, Canada
2. Government agency Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has recently developed an unmanned tank that can remotely operate and has named it
3. Which of the following App was launched recently for providing ocean information services, dissemination of alerts towards the livelihood of a coastal community as well as their safety at Sea?
A. Samudra Alert
B. Sagar Vani
C. Samudra Vani
D. Sagar Samadhan
4. Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Minority Affairs & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi recently launched the “Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2”. The main objective of the “Jiyo Parsi” scheme is to
A. provide a global platform for Parsi population to get together
B. provide economic support to Parsi population
C. reverse the declining trend of Parsi population
D. None of the above
5. The World Bank is headquartered in:
A. Paris, France
B. Zurich, Switzerland
C. London, UK
D. Washington, D.C., USA
6. As per reports, which of the following international organization has accepted the mediator role between India and Pakistan over two of India’s hydroelectricity projects, namely Kishenganga and Ratle, under the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty (IWT)?
A. International Court of Justice
B. United Nations Environment Programme
C. International Energy Forum
D. World Bank
7. This country has made a historic breakthrough by successfully producing natural gas from methane hydrate, also known as “flammable ice”:
C. United States
8. On July 31, 2017, the Rajya Sabha passed the Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017. The bill provides for:
A. granting the National Commission on Backward Classes (NCBC) constitutional status
B. amending the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and the Constitution (Pondicherry) Scheduled Castes Order, 1964
C. outlining certain guidelines for running co-operative societies
D. a minimum of one-third of the total number of seats filled by direct elections in every Municipality shall be reserved for women
9. India won the Division ‘B’ of FIBA Women’s Asia Cup 2017 by defeating?
10. Who won the 2017 Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix?
A. Valtteri Bottas
B. Lewis Hamilton
C. Sebastian Vettel
D. Daniel Ricciardo
11. Israel’s first environmental satellite, a major project of the Israel Space Agency and the French space agency CNES, was launched recently. What is the name of this satellite?
12. On July 31, 2017, the Supreme Court prohibited the use of five chemicals, labeled as toxic by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), in the manufacture of firecrackers. Which among the following chemical is NOT prohibited:
13. On 31st July 2017, BSF (Border Security Force) signed MoU with NSDC (National Skill Development Corporation).
Read the following list and select who will be eligible for the skill training under this MoU.
1. retired BSF personnel
2. BSF personnel who are on the verge of retiring
3. the population residing in the border areas
A. Only 1 and 2
B. Only 1 and 3
C. Only 2 and 3
D. All of the above
14. Cabinet of this state has approved recently the anti-conversion Bill labeled Freedom Bill 2017 which carry jail term of three years and/or fine of Rs 50,000 for anyone found guilty of converting people by alluring or forcing them?
D. Madhya Pradesh
Answer Key with explanation and links
1. C. Delhi Metro, India
- Delhi Metro Rail Service has been named as the only completely ‘green’ Metro system in the world for adhering to green building norms.
- The city railway network has obtained the platinum rating for adherence to green building norms for its 10 residential colonies from the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
2. A. ‘Muntra’
- Government agency Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has recently developed an unmanned tank that can remotely operate and has named it ‘Muntra’.
- The tank which is a first of its kind in the country has been developed and tested by Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) in Avadi for the army.
- Three variants of Muntra has been developed namely:
- Muntra S – to carry out unmanned surveillance missions.
- Munta M – for detecting mines.
- Muntra N – will be deployed in areas where nuclear radiation or the risk of bio weapons is high.
3. B. Sagar Vani
- Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Dr. Harshvardhan launched an app “Sagar Vani” on the occasion of Foundation Day of Ministry of Earth Sciences in New Delhi.
- The App, an Integrated Information Dissemination System, is developed for providing ocean information services, dissemination of alerts towards the livelihood of a coastal community as well as their safety at Sea.
- The ‘Sagar Vani’ is a software platform where various dissemination modes will be integrated on a single central server.
- The ‘Sagar Vani’ includes Multi Lingual SMS, Voice Call / Audio Advisory, Mobile Apps (User / Admin modules), Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Email, GTS, Fax, Digital Display Boards, Radio / Television broadcast units, IVRS, Cloud Channels, etc.
- The system also has a facility to provide access to various stakeholders (NGOs, State Fishery Departments, Disaster Management Authorities, etc.) so that they too will be able to further disseminate this ocean information and alerts to the user community.
4. C. reverse the declining trend of Parsi population
- “Jiyo Parsi Publicity” is a central sector scheme. The main objective of the scheme is to reverse the declining trend of the Parsi population by adopting a scientific protocol and structured interventions, stabilize their population and increase the population of Parsis in India.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs’ scheme has two components: Medical Assistance and Advocacy/Counselling. The scheme has been successful. 101 babies have been born in Parsi community through “Jiyo Parsi” scheme.
- The first phase of the scheme, “Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-1”, was initiated in 2013 for containing the declining trend of the population of the Parsi community and reverse it to bring their population above the threshold level.
- On 29th July Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Minority Affairs & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched “Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2” in Mumbai.
- Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launches “Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2” in Mumbai
- “Jiyo Parsi” – The Central Sector Scheme for Containing Population Decline of Parsis in India
5. Washington DC, USA
- The World Bank is headquartered in Washington, D.C., United States.
Learn more: About the World Bank
6. D. World Bank
- In 2016, Pakistan had approached World Bank to mediate between India and Pakistan over two of India’s hydroelectricity projects, namely Kishenganga and Ratle, under the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty (IWT), which the World Bank accepted.
- Pakistan demanded that the World Bank set up a court of arbitration to look into its concerns. On the other hand, India asked for appointments of a neutral expert to look into the issues, contending the concerns Pakistan raised were “technical” ones.
- The World Bank, in November 2016, initiated two processes: establishment of a court of arbitration and appointment of a neutral expert. These processes were halted after India objected to it.
- On 31st July 2017, the World Bank hold talks between two countries to resolve the issue.
7. B. China
- In an experimental project in the South China Sea, China has made a historic breakthrough by successfully producing natural gas from methane hydrate, also known as “flammable ice”.
- Flammable ice consists of methane trapped within water crystals, and has been identified as a potential new gas source for China, with the South China Sea thought to contain some of the world’s most promising deposits.
8. A. granting the National Commission on Backward Classes (NCBC) constitutional status
- On July 31, 2017, the Rajya Sabha passed the Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The bill provides for granting the National Commission on Backward Classes (NCBC) constitutional status at par with the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.
- The bill was earlier introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Mr. Thaawarchand Gehlot on April 5, 2017.
- The Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Third Amendment) Bill, 2017
- Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill and National Commission for Backward Classes (Repeal) Bill, 2017 passed with amendment in Rajya Sabha
9. A. Kazakhstan
- India won the Division ‘B’ of FIBA Women’s Asia Cup 2017 by defeating Kazakhstan, 75-73, in the final played on 29 July 2017.
10. C. Sebastian Vettel
- Sebastian Vettel won the 2017 Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix.
- In his 50th race for Ferrari, the four-time champion German controlled the contest from pole position in stifling heat to reel off his first win in five races since the Monaco Grand Prix.
11. A. Venus
- On August 2, 2017, Israel’s first environmental satellite ‘Venus’ was launched.
- Venus (Vegetation and Environment Monitoring New Micro-Satellite), designed and built by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Rafael, in collaboration with the French National Center for Space Studies (CNES), was shot into space from the launching pad in French Guiana.
- Venus has a dual mission: one scientific and the other technological. The scientific mission will monitor Earth’s vegetation using a camera capable of recording 12 narrow spectral bands.
- The technological mission will test the operation of an innovative electric propulsion system based on the Israeli-designed Hall Effect Thrusters.
- Israel launches first environmental research satellite
- VIDEO: First Israeli Environmental Satellite Soars Into Space
12. Answer: C. Sulphur
- The Supreme Court on July 31, 2017, prohibited the use of five chemicals, labeled as toxic by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), in the manufacture of firecrackers.
- These harmful chemicals are antimony, lithium, mercury, arsenic, and lead.
- The apex court further added that it is the responsibility of the Petroleum and Explosive Safety Organisation (PESO) to ensure compliance, particularly in Sivakasi.
Learn more: 5 chemicals banned in firecrackers
13. D. All of the above
- The Border Security Force (BSF) signed a MoU with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) on July 31, 2017.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of MoS (Independent Charge) Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju.
- The MoU will enable NSDC to provide “Skill training to retired and retiring BSF personnel, as well as to the population residing in the border areas.”
- Following are the objectives of the MoU:
- To contribute to the Skill Development Agenda of the country by ensuring the successful roll out of NSQF (National Skill Qualification Framework) based skill training to the retiring or retired BSF personnel and local population at the area of deployment through NSQF compliant training programs at multi-skill development centers run by BSF. This will help in meeting the aspirations of the stakeholders for training and employment.
- This collaboration aims to train and provide gainful employment to retired BSF personnel and their families, school students, youth, differently abled for five years starting from April 2017 to April 2022.
- The project will be a limited time period i.e. (5 years) and in mission mode.
- The program will be appropriately named keeping the objectives in view and will have BSF co-branding with Skill India and NSDC.
Learn more: BSF and NSDC sign MoU on Skill Development
14. C. Jharkhand
- State Cabinet of Jharkhand Government has approved recently the anti-conversion Bill labeled Freedom Bill 2017.
- Provisions in the Religious Freedom Bill 2017 carry jail term of three years and/or fine of Rs 50,000 for anyone found guilty of converting people by alluring or forcing them.
- If the person being converted is a minor girl belonging to the Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe community, the punishment will go up from three years to four years, and the fine from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh (either or both).
- The Bill is set to be brought in the Assembly in the monsoon session.
- Among other states where such a legislation has been brought into effect are Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
- The bill is a long delayed demand from Sarna followers (who follow their own traditional religion).
Learn more: Jharkhand Cabinet clears anti-conversion Bill