There are 25 questions in this practice set. With each question, there are 4 options. You have to choose which one of them is correct.
The answer is given with each question. You will find external links with each answer. You can learn further about the topic by visiting those links.
Questions in this set were asked on our Facebook Page. If you’ve come here from our page, in this post you will find the answer to the questions I asked.
If you have any query of feedback, please write it below in the comment box.
1. The United Forum of Bank Unions (UBFU) has decided to observe July 19, 2017, as ‘Save public sector banks’ day. The day also marks the:
A. start of protest programmes by UBFU from July 19 to September 15 demanding solutions to 17 major issues which ail Public Sector banks.
B. the 48th anniversary of nationalisation of major banks
C. Both A and B
D. Only A
Answer: C. Both A and B
From the midnight of July 19, 1969, the Government of India issued an ordinance (‘Banking Companies (Acquisition and Transfer of Undertakings) Ordinance, 1969’) and nationalised the 14 largest commercial banks.
This year all public sector banks are observing the 48th anniversary of nationalisation.
Bank employees’ associations under the leadership of the United Federation of Bank Unions (UFBU) protest programmes from July 19 to September 15 demanding solutions to 17 major issues including recovery of bad loans, privatisation of public sector banks, etc.
- Bank unions to observe July 19 as ‘Save public sector banks day’
- Bank strike planned in August
- Banking in India From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. Section 16 of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009 stipulates that ‘No child admitted in a school shall be held back in any class or expelled from school till the completion of elementary education’. Thus, the policy covers elementary stage of schooling covering classes 1 to
Answer: B. 8
Section 16 of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009 stipulates that ‘No child admitted in a school shall be held back in any class or expelled from school till the completion of elementary education’. Thus, the policy covers elementary stage of schooling covering classes 1 to 8.
- Change in No-Detention Policy, Press Information Bureau (The government of India)
- No detention policy to go away from next academic year: HRD ministry
3. Who is the current Minister of State for HRD (Higher Education) in Government of India?
A. Shri Ananth Kumar
B. Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey
C. Shri Upendra Kushwaha
D. Shri P.P. Chaudhary
Answer: B. Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey
Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey is Hon’ble Minister of State for HRD (Higher Education).
Shri Upendra Kushwaha is Hon’ble Minister of State for HRD (School Education & Literacy)
Shri Ananth Kumar is Hon’ble Minister (Chemicals & Fertilizers)
Shri P.P. Chaudhary is Minister of State (Electronics and Information Technology)
4. In which sport did India’s Manpreet Kaur claim the gold medal at Asian Athletics Championships 2017?
A. Javelin Throw
B. Long Jump
Answer: D. Shotput
In the women’s Shotput, Manpreet Kaur captured the gold medal for India on the opening day of the Asian Athletics Championships 2017 in Bhubaneswar.
5. India’s Ambassador to Peru Sandeep Chakravorty has been appointed as the head of the Indian consulate in _______________.
B. New York
Answer: B. New York
India’s Ambassador to Peru Sandeep Chakravorty has been appointed as the head of the Indian consulate in New York. The 1996 Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer will replace Riva Ganguly Das as Consul General in one of the busiest Indian diplomatic missions overseas.
6. What is the full form of ‘MERIT’ which is an app launched recently by Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines?
A. Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency
B. Merit Order Despatch of Electricity from Renewable for Income and Transparency
C. Maximization of Electricity from Renewables for Income and Trade
D. Mutual Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency
Answer: A. Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency
Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal launched here today the ‘MERIT app (Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency – http://meritindia.in/)’ and the e-bidding portal for providing e-Bidding solution to States to select Independent Power Producers (IPPs) for procurement of power by transferring their domestic coal under the scheme of flexibility in utilization of domestic coal.
The advantages of MERIT app are as follows:
- Empowerment of the Consumer and participative governance
- Transparent information dissemination pertaining to marginal variable cost and source wise purchase of electricity
- Promotes economy and efficiency in operations
- Helps understand the utility portfolio and its complexity
- Optimization of the power procurement costs
- Facilitates renewable integration and handling of the variability and uncertainty of renewables
- Indication of supply side reliability, adequacy, and co
- The flexibility in utilization of domestic coal scheme envisages transferring coal to more efficient IPPs generating stations, leading to lower generation costs and ultimately lesser cost of electricity for the consumers.
7. The Karnataka government has recently launched a scheme named ‘Elevate 100’. The scheme is related to:
A. construction of transport infrastructure
C. education for under-privilege
D. selection of 100 towns for Urban development
Answer: B. start-up
The Karnataka government has recently launched the ‘Elevate 100’ scheme to identify and nurture innovative start-ups.
The Elevate scheme is the brainchild of the start-up cell, Karnataka Biotechnology and Information Technology Services (KBITS), to help start-ups across the state succeed by providing them with access to mentors, networking opportunities, idea validation, incubation facilities, and in-depth sessions for start-ups on accounting, legal and emerging technologies.
The website and logo for Elevate 2017 (www.elevate.bengaluruite.biz) were unveiled by the Priyank Kharge, Minister for IT and BT.
Learn more: Karnataka ‘Elevate 100’ scheme for start-ups
8. India’s legendary cueist Pankaj Advani teamed up with which player in final against Pakistan to win Asian Team Snooker Championship 2017?
A. Malkeet Singh
B. Ashok Shandilya
C. Laxman Rawat
D. Aditya Mehta
Answer: C. Laxman Rawat
9. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan recently launched a ‘G-Ride’, a digital ride sharing platform specially designed and deployed for professionals of:
A. Retail Industry
B. Public Administration
C. IT Industry
D. None of the above
Answer: C. IT Industry
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan recently launched a ‘G-Ride’, a digital ride sharing platform specially designed and deployed for professionals of IT industry, by the Group of Technology Companies (GTech), the industry body of IT companies in the state.
10. In a recent move, the Syrian Central Bank had issued new 2000 currency notes with the face of President Bashar Assad on it. What is the currency of Syria?
Answer: B. Lira
The Syrian pound or Syrian Lira is the currency of Syria and is issued by the Central Bank of Syria.
- Syrian President Bashar Assad will be face of new bank note
- Syrian pound From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11. Who became the first Indian driver to win in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship?
A. Jehan Daruvala
B. Karun Chandok
C. Narayan Karthikeyan
D. None of the above
Answer: A. Jehan Daruvala
Jehan Daruvala became the first Indian driver to win in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, claiming victory in Race 3 at the Nuremberg circuit.
12. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), a leading think tank dedicated to conducting research for sustainable development has its headquarter at:
A. New York
D. New Delhi
Answer: D. New Delhi
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is headquartered in New Delhi, with regional centers in Bengaluru, Guwahati, Mumbai, Panaji (Goa), and Nainital (Uttarakhand).
Learn more: ABOUT TERI
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has adopted which village under the second phase of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)?
Answer: A. Nagepur
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has adopted Nagepur, a village dominated by backward castes, in his Lok Sabha constituency of Varanasi under the second phase of Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY).
In the first phase of SAGY, the PM had adopted Jayapur village in Sevapuri Assembly segment of Varanasi. Nagepur too falls in the same Assembly Constituency.
14. How many villages are to be developed by a Member of Parliament under ‘Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana’ (SAGY) scheme by 2019?
Answer: C. 3
Under the Yojana, Members of Parliament (MPs) will be responsible for developing the socio-economic and physical infrastructure of three villages each by 2019, and a total of eight villages each by 2024.
15. Exercise Maitree 2017, 15-day long joint military training exercise a continuation of a series of joint exercises between India and
A. Sri Lanka
Answer: C. Thailand
16. The Maitree Express, a passenger train service between Dhaka and Kolkata was launched in which year:
Answer: B. 2008
The Maitree Express, a passenger train service between Dhaka and Kolkata was launched on April 14, 2008.
A second Maitree (Friendship) Express passenger train service Maitree Express-II is also going to commence between Kolkata to Khulna through Petrapole- Benapole.
17. Which flower is named after Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in a special gesture to mark the first visit of an Indian Prime Minister to the Jewish nation?
A. Israeli Bellis perennis
B. Israeli Chrysanthemum
C. Israeli Calicotome villose
D. Israeli Clematis
Answer: B. Israeli Chrysanthemum
A new fast-growing Israeli flower was on Wednesday named after Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in a special gesture to mark the first visit of an Indian Prime Minister to the Jewish nation.
Israeli Chrysanthemum flower will now be called “MODI”.
18. Who has been elected as new vice-president of Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), the industry association and Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) for the microfinance industry in India?
A. R Baskar Babu
B. Anand Rao
C. Devesh Sachdev
D. Rakesh Dubey
Answer: C. Devesh Sachdev
Devesh Sachdev has been elected as new vice-president of Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), the industry association and Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) for the microfinance industry in India.
Devesh Sachdev founded Fusion Microfinance in 2009 and has worked with the renowned companies such as Citigroup and BSA before starting his journey as an entrepreneur.
Rakesh Dubey, CEO, SVCL is the President of the MFIN board.
19. World Sports Journalists Day is observed on
A. 2 July
B. 3 July
C. 4 July
D. 1 July
Answer: A. 2 July
World Sports Journalists Day is a global professional observance held on July 2. It was established by the International Sports Press Association (AIPS) in 1994 to mark the 70th anniversary of its foundation.
Learn more: World Sports Journalists Day
20. Recently, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, inaugurated the filling of Aji Dam near Rajkot under Sauni Yojana. What does ‘Sauni’ stands for?
A. Salinity and Utilization of Narmada Irrigation Yojana
B. Sagarkhedu Narmada Aji Interlinking Yojana
C. Saurashtra and Narmada Interlinking Yojna
D. Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation Yojana
Answer: D. Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation Yojana
Sauni or Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation Yojana is a scheme of Gujarat government to divert one MAFt excess overflowing flood water of Narmada allocated to Saurashtra Region. The excess overflowing flood water of Narmada will be distributed to 115 reservoirs of eleven districts of Saurashtra through total 1126 km long four link pipelines benefitting 10,22,589 acre land.
21. Which is the first state to implement an integrated Core Banking Solution Project covering all three tiers of short-term cooperative credit structure – state cooperative bank, district central cooperative banks and 2,708 primary agriculture cooperative societies?
A. Madhya Pradesh
Answer: B. Odisha
Odisha is the first state to implement an integrated Core Banking Solution Project covering all three tiers of short-term cooperative credit structure – state cooperative bank, district central cooperative banks and 2,708 primary agriculture cooperative societies.
22. Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently inaugurated ‘The Arena’, one of the most advanced integrated multi-purpose stadiums. It is a public-private partnership between the government of Gujarat and
A. Sports Authority of India
C. Sports Authority Of Gujarat
D. JMC Projects
Answer: B. TransStadia
23. ‘Vikrikar Bhavan’ which was renamed as ‘GST Bhavan’ after the Goods and Services Tax regime was rolled out was the former headquarter of ___________ government’s Sales Tax department?
Answer: A. Maharashtra
Learn more: Mumbai’s ‘Vikrikar Bhavan’ Renamed As GST Bhavan
24. Name the CEO of a reputed bank who has been conferred recently with ‘Indian of the Year’ 2017 award organised by Brands Academy?
A. Arundhati Bhattacharya
B. Aditya Puri
C. Shikha Sharma
D. Chanda Kochhar
Answer: D. Chanda Kochhar
Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO of ICICI Bank has been conferred recently with ‘Indian of the Year’ 2017 award organised by Brands Academy.
Brands Academy is one of the leading brand management companies in Asia.
25. This country defeated Chile in the final of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup to win the title?
Answer: D. Germany
Germany defeated Chile (1-0) in the final of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup to win the title.
The FIFA Confederations Cup was played in Russia.
Do you want to to get this post in your inbox, if so please provide your details below (it’s free and don’t worry we don’t spam):