Minister of Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar and Minister of State for Defence Dr. Subhash Bhamre jointly launched a campaign to have a ‘Wall of Valour’ in 1,000 educational institutions across the country.
What is ‘Wall of Valour’?
In this campaign, portraits of Param Vir Chakra (PVC) decorated soldiers will be displayed at designated places on educational campuses to instill sense of nationalism among the students.
This is part of a nationwide ‘Vidya Veerta Abhiyan’, initiated by writer and former Rajya Sabha member Shri Tarun Vijay.
Following are 21 Param Vir Chakra recipients whose portraits will honor the selected educational institutions:
- Major Somnath Sharma, 4 Kumaon, (Posthumous), 1947
- Second Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane, Bombay Sappers, 1948
- Company Havildar Major Piru Singh, 6 Rajputana Refiles, (Posthumous), 1948
- Lance Naik Karam Singh, 1 Sikh, 1948
- Naik Jadunath Singh, 1 Rajput, (Posthumous), 1948
- Captain Gurbachan Singh Salaria, 3/1 Gorkha Rifles, (Posthumous), 1961
- Major Shaitan Singh, 13 Kumaon, (Posthumous), 1962
- Subedar Joginder Singh, 1 Sikh, (Posthumous), 1962
- Major Dhan Singh Thapa, 1/8 Gorkha Rifles, 1962
- Company Quartermaster Havildar Abdul Hamid, 4 Grenadiers, (Posthumous), 1965
- Lieutenant Colonel A B Tarapore, Poona Horse, (Posthumous), 1965
- Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon, 18 Squadron, (Posthumous), 1971
- Major Hoshiar Singh, 3 Grenadiers, 1971
- Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal, Poona Horse, (Posthumous), 1971
- Lance Naik Albert Ekka, 14 Guards, (Posthumous), 1971
- Major Ramaswamy Parameswaran, 8 Mahar, (Posthumous), 1987
- Naib Subedar Bana Singh, 8 JAK LI, 1987
- Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav, 18 Grenadiers, 1999
- Captain Vikram Batra, 13 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, (Posthumous), 1999
- Rifleman Sanjay Kumar, 13 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, 1999
- Lieutenant Manoj Kumar Pandey, 7/11 Gorkha Rifles (Posthumous), 1999
- ‘Wall of Valour’ IN Educational Institutions Launched, 02-May, 2017, Press Information Bureau, Government of India
- Photo Credit: By Government of India – Indian Navy, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49529094