Q. International Day of Forests 2017 was observed on 21st March with the theme:
A. Forest and food
B. Forests and life
C. Forests and energy
D. Forests and Earth
International Day of Forests 2017 was observed on 21st March with the theme: Forests and energy.
The highlight of the theme are:
- Forests is a major renewable energy source.
- Almost 900 million people, mostly in developing countries, are engaged in the wood-energy sector on a part- or full-time basis. Modernizing the wood energy sector can help revitalize rural economies and stimulate enterprise development.
- In Urban Area, strategically placed trees can cool the air by between 2 to 8 degrees celsius which lower energy bills.
- Globally, forests hold an energy content approximately 10 times that of the world’s annual primary energy consumption.
- Greater investment in technological innovation and in sustainably managed forests is the key to increasing forests’ role as a major source of renewable energy.
The United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/67/200 on 21 December 2012, which declared that 21 March of each year is to be observed as the International Day of Forests.
This day is celebrated each year all over the world to raise awareness about the importance of all types of woodlands and trees, and celebrate the ways in which they sustain and protect us.
Source: International Day of Forests 21 March, un.org