On November 18 2016, President-elect Donald Trump named retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn as national security advisor.
In this role, Flynn will consult with Trump on protecting the country’s citizens, key infrastructure and resources and sit on the National Security Council with Trump, Vice President-elect Mike Pence, the incoming secretaries of state, defense and energy, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff and other key officials.
The position Flynn will fill is not subject to Senate confirmation. Flynn replaces Susan Rice who has served as President Obama’s national security adviser since July 2013.
Facts about Mike Flynn
- Michael Thomas “Mike” Flynn (born December 1958) is a retired United States Army lieutenant general who last served as the 18th Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, from July 22, 2012 to August 7, 2014.
- Flynn was born in Middletown, Rhode Island in December 1958, the son of Helen Frances (Andrews), who worked in real estate, and Charles Francis Flynn, a banker.
- Michael Flynn graduated from the University of Rhode Island with a Bachelor of Science degree in management science in 1981.
- He was a Distinguished Military Graduate of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps.
- He also earned a Master of Business Administration in Telecommunications from Golden Gate University, a Master of Military Art and Science from the United States Army Command and General Staff College, and a Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College.
- Flynn started his army career as a second lieutenant in military intelligence, in 1981.
- Flynn’s military career was primarily operational, with numerous combat arms, conventional and special operations senior intelligence assignments.
- From 2012 to 2014, he served as 18th director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.
- He is the recipient of the US Intelligence Community’s Gold Seal Medallion, the Service to America Award from the Federal Law Enforcement Foundation, the Ellis Island Medal of Honor, the US Coast Guard Distinguished Public Service Award, the 2015 William Casey Medal of Honor and the first non-Navy recipient of the distinguished RADM Edwin T. Layton Award, as well as numerous other medals and awards for his service to nation.
- Flynn, along with son Michael G. Flynn, runs Flynn Intel Group which provides intelligence services for business and governments.
- Flynn is a registered Democrat, having grown up in a “very strong Democratic family”.
- Flynn is the author of The Field of Fight: How We Can Win the Global War Against Radical Islam and Its Allies.
- He co-authored a report in January 2010 through the Center for a New American Security entitled Fixing Intel: A Blueprint for Making Intelligence Relevant in Afghanistan.
- Flynn is married to Lori Andrade and have two sons.
President-Elect Donald Trump Taps Michael Flynn for National Security Adviser (November 18 2016). Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com
- Michael T. Flynn. (2016, November 24). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 01:38, November 24, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michael_T._Flynn&oldid=751205754