Pneumonia is the infection of the lungs caused by virus, bacteria, and fungi. It causes inflammation of the air sacs as the alveoli are filled with pus or fluids. Pneumonia can be life-threatening if it gets severe.
On World Pneumonia Day, commemorated every year on November 12 and was started in 2009, we-
- Raise awareness about pneumonia, the world’s leading infectious killer of children under the age of 5.
- Promote interventions to protect against, prevent, and treat pneumonia and highlight proven approaches and solutions in need of additional resources and attention
- Generate action, including continued donor investment, to combat pneumonia and other common, yet sometimes deadly, childhood diseases
In 2016, the theme of the World Pnumonia Day is “Keep the Promise-Stop Pnumonia Now.”
- Stopping pneumonia isn’t about luck. It’s about action, Retrieved from http://stoppneumonia.org
- Feature Image Credit: http://stoppneumonia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/World_Pneumonia_Day_Banner_2016.jpg